Friday, July 6, 2012

Tutorial- Hunger Games T-shirt

One of my favorite things to do is decorate t-shirts for various events.  I know you can order, buy, or use iron-ons to decorate t-shirts, but my favorite way is to use puffy paint!  I've decorated shirts for Disneyland, cross country, track, and just for fun!

 Most recently, I made a Hunger Game t-shirt for when the movie came out! 

I knew that I wanted to include the mockingjay pin on my shirt and so I found a picture of it off Google,

and then cut out all the black and put the shape back together.  This part was time consuming but as long as you take your time, and only cut out the black area, then you should be good! Also, keep track of what part goes where. (I printed out an extra picture so I could use it for reference)

Once everything is cut out, reassemble the picture on your shirt and tape all the pieces down.  Make sure the pieces will stay down and that they tape wont get in the way.  (Basically you just made a stencil).  

Next, I used puffy paint (I used gold) to fill in all the area that should be black.  It doesn't really matter if this is perfect because you cover it in glitter later. 
my shirt partway through stencil process
After you finish with the puffy paint, carefully, without smudging or bumping the wet paint, remove the paper from your shirt.  If there is any small mistakes, correct them now with the paint.  

Then take some glitter (I used Tulip Fashion Glitter) and sprinkle all over your wet paint.  I bought an 18 gram container of glitter and sprinkled the whole thing over my design.  Wait a few minutes then dump the glitter off, preferably onto a piece of paper.  Then repeat that process again so the glitter is everywhere.  Transfer remaining glitter (I used less then 1/3 of my tube) back into the tube.  
glitter!! 
After I glitter-fied everything, I let the shirt dry.  Then I added, "Let the Hunger Games begin", and the date.  

Finished t-shirt :)

 Once that dried, I wrote "May the odds be ever in your favor" and "team Peeta".  (Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures of the back-my bad).

Fun partying! I loved the movie too! (although it wasn't as good as the book).







No comments:

Post a Comment